Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Protons and Black Holes

So I read today on CNN that scientists in Europe fired up the largest proton collider ever built in hopes of finding out more about what happens when you smash protons into each other. It's a giant 17 mile circular tunnel underneath the Switzerland/France border.
The article stated that if everything goes to plan, scientists could potentially unlock secrets of how the universe was formed and what materials were present when it was just a baby universe.
However, if something goes wrong, scientists could potentially open up a black hole large enough to swallow the planet.
I'm not sure what worries me more, the possibility of the whole black hole/swallowed planet/end of the world thing, or the fact that I jadedly continued sipping my Cran-Grape juice and clicked on the next headline.

No comments: