Sunday, January 17, 2010

Ring Pillow

In my search for accessories for the wedding, I've found that a lot of the white, floofy versions of things that are more mainstream just aren't ringing my bell. Those are fine and perfect for a white, floofy wedding, but our wedding is most definitely not. I started a list a while back of things that I would need to start gathering, and while I know we are still 8 months out, I thought it would be good to get as much stuff out of the way now, so that way I'm not stressing about it when we're 3 weeks out. The first thing I wanted to tackle was the ring bearer pillow. I searched all of the craft stores in Peoria, and all of the wedding accessory websites and kept coming up with the same white floofy pillows. Occasionally a brown satin version would pop up but it would almost always have crystals and rhinestones bedazzled on it and I'm just not a crystals and rhinestones kind of gal. So I turned to Ebay and the wonderful Etsy. There I found some marvelous examples of what I was going for.


This first one sang to me. Oh, the simplicity of it! The rustic brown, the soft petals of the flower! Lovely! It also rang in at the lovely price of $45.00. Add shipping to that and it was way more than I could justify spending on something that was only going to be featured for a 30 second walk down the aisle.



This one really caught my eye as well. The rich fall colors and the beautiful leaves were perfect! But it rang in at $36.00. Better than the first one, but still more than I was willing to shell out, especially after shipping was added on.




I finally broke down and resolved to make my own. I scoured online for fabric and pillow forms but couldn't find any that were priced well enough to save me very much money. I was getting frustrated until I remembered that UFS had wedding accessories every now and then. I took a gamble and drove downtown and sure enough, they had ring pillows for $5!! I figured I could just cut off the bows and beads and lace and just re-cover it with whatever I liked. So after checking out I drove up to Jo-Ann fabrics and found some beautiful brown and green fabric to use and even better, it was 30% off and came out to $6.99! So I bought a yard of fabric, some gold rope trim that was $1.99, a little package of four tassels for $.99 and a gold button for the center that was $.59!

Behold, my masterpiece!

The shape isn't perfect and the sewing technique I used for the trim is called hot glue gun, but I'm proud of it nonetheless, and it will do for a 30 second trip down the aisle :) All in all, I ended up spending about $15 total, less actually, though, since I used just a fraction of the fabric to cover the pillow. Way better than spending $40-$50.

Added bonus, I found two hat boxes, one for $2.99 and one for $4.99 that I am going to cover with the leftover fabric and glue together to make a card box for the gift table. If all goes well, I will hopefully have another crafty post soon!

1 comment:

Charity said...

That's awesome!! You're so crafty!