Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mom

Just taking a moment on this Mother's Day to appreciate my Mom. Amazing that someone just 4'11" tall and is 80-some-odd pounds is indeed the strongest person I know. She has overcome more in her life than most of us ever have to face. In fact, if I had been challenged with even a fraction of what she has had thrown at her, I would have buckled under the pressure. But not her.
She dealt with polio at age 5. Then the diagnosis that she would never walk again. Then years of physical therapy and training her legs to walk in a new way, using different muscles. Spent her childhood having surgery after surgery. Had two C-sections. Worked. Only took 1/2 hour lunches, eating a sandwich from home rather than spending money on a restaraunt lunch. Dealt with her daughter's lovely teenage years. Deals with MS with dignity and stubbornness. Handled losing the love of her life. Even though she deals with pain and illness on a daily basis, if I so much as sneeze or mention a headache, she is much more worried about me than herself.
I hope that when I am a mom, I have the same elements of compassion, grace, stubbornness, priorities, and most of all love, that she has.
Happy Mothers Day to my mom and to all of the moms, grandmas, aunts, sisters, and moms-to-be!

No comments: